Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dave - Question #3

What is your favorite memory with Dave?

11 comments:

  1. My absolute favorite memory with Dad is all the times he's given me father's blessings, especially the ones at the beginning of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memories are of watching him with a newborn baby--especially our babies and grandbabies. He always has such awe and reverence during those times. It's just sweet to watch him cuddle with them and talk to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember him coming into my room to comfort me in the middle of the night when I would have a bad dream as a little kid. I also love how encouraging he is for me being a mom now and helps me feel like I am doing the most important work in the world. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not my favorite or most recent memory, but I think this happened right before Matt left on his mission. But he came and played basketball with us, which he had before so this was nothing new. We seriously had played like 10 minutes, and dad ends up leaving the game because he popped out an elbow or something. The only thing is that it was a total fluke. I think I was going up for a rebound and nudged his arm. Needless to say, he hasn't played a live basketball game with us since. But I don't blame him, Matt and Josh can get pretty rough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last time I remember playing basketball with Dad, I was posting him up, made a move and smashed my head into his nose. In my defense, me must've been playing pretty close to get hit like that. Playing basketball with your kids is hazardous to your health, apparently.

    But the actual answer to this question is probably getting e-mails from him on my mission. They were always helpful and uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Playing board games at the Barrus house. It's fun to see everyone's competitive (or "tired, because it's past 10 o'clock") side come out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have the longest memory than most anyone out there. I remember racing over the river (Snake River) and through the fields to the Nyssa Hospital and David wouldnt wait for the doctor. David has pretty much been in a nurry ever since. A lovely LDS nurse was the major helper until Doc arrived. She indicated that it was protocol to actually baptize new infants (whether Catholic or not) by moving the pre-born in the mom fluid. So I had the responsibility to reclaim my second son to the LDS way. CAn you imagine that a member of the ward bishopric brought home a little Catholic cherub from the hospital. He turned out a pretty descent sort of fellow and just maybe his unusual entry ordinance was a positive experience in some mystical way. I am certain the church writing committees and CES would have taken him anyway. When he retires I see him as reading the employment columns in the paper every day for jobs that Josh, Jonathan and Micah could do to earn a little missionary moolah. Love, the older than any of you. I have to stay in head of all my aging progeny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dancing with him. Some of my favorite memories are when he swept me into the kitchen for an impromptu twirl or two.

    Also, I won't soon forget the "Fleas" poem he's so fond of reciting. Other memorable and classic phrases: "heart of my bottom" and "there's gambling blood in these veins!". Don't worry, Dad- I haven't forgotten that we're going to put that last one on your tombstone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite memory of dad is when I would come home from my basketball games or a long day of work and we would just talk things out and it would really help me maintain perspective in life and know that I can look to him for almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Setting up the old tent trailer in the pouring, Missouri rain... Yup, that is a good memory for sure :) I would have to say some of my favorite memories are from the vacations that we took. We took multiple vacations a year, which showed me that Dad thought it was important that we took trips to be together as a family. Just to name a few... Hiking/camping at Bryce Canyon. Spending a week in a condo in San Diego minutes from the beach. That 3 week long camping trip back East to Church History and U.S. history sites. Goblin Valley right after I got home from my mission. Watching BYU play in the Las Vegas bowls. Those trips to Nauvoo. Driving up through Portland and Seattle and all those stops along the way (Lofthouse cookies anyone?) I could keep going but suffice it to say, I think Dad loved going on vacations with us, even though we were usually whiney and party-poopers most of the time. Love you Dad! Happy 60th! We can't wait to see you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple years ago we went camping at the Palisades. Dave, Josh, Seth, Micah, Matt and I went golfing and it was so much fun! I had never been golfing before. I was surprised at how good Dave was!
    Also, after Aubrey was born everyone came up to see her. Dave put his shoe next to tiny Aubrey and took a picture. Before they left everyone gathered on the couch for a picture with Aubrey while Matt and I took the pictures. Dave had to sneeze during the picture so we caught some funny faces. Matt and I could NOT stop laughing. I'm still laughing as I'm typing this :)

    Happy Birthday, Dave! Thank you for your love and example! I'm really grateful to have you as a father-in-law!

    ReplyDelete