Among everything else I've learned from having an enthusiastic gospel teacher around the house, I've also learned about how to handle money properly. (Which is not to say that I'm the Budgeting Queen, but I'm less miserable at it than I used to be.)
I've learned the importance of being consistent--in saving money, in exercising, in flossing, in scripture study, in caring for others. Well, actually, it's something I admire in him. I'm still working on being more consistent.
I have learned discipline and dedication from dad. He is always able to follow through on goals and encourage others to make and set goals- especially financial ones.
I learned to try and fix problems or other issues by myself first in order to learn how it works, but not be afraid to ask for help (which usually ends up happening) when it becomes impossible with your limited skill set.
I learned most of what I know about the gospel from him. I asked a lot of church-related questions as a kid, and he was always willing to take the time to give me an answer.
How to be consistently supportive and not give up. A good balance (especially in parenting) between correcting choices and allowing kids to make mistakes.
That the Gospel is an important part of his life and how to live my own life the same way- how to truly be converted to the Lord and show it in your life and talk and rejoice in it every day. Also, that it's possible to be an institute and seminary teacher, have 9 kids, and still pay off your mortgage and not have any other debt while most of your kids are still living at home.
Dad has taught me how to be hard worker. Even though I know that yardwork and other household jobs aren't his favorite things to do in the world, I always knew that he could do them to help Mom out. Whether that was weeding, getting the swamp cooler ready for the summer, or cleaning out the garage, I learned to get the job done, even if it isn't the most glamorous job. I also learned the importance of budgeting and living within one's means. I'm still not on a Dad-like level but I feel that I'm a lot better off than most because of his example.
One thing I've learned is the importance of learning about cars! There have been many times where Dave has looked at our cars (we're on our third)and helped us with changing our oil or putting coolant in. I've also learned about how to have organization (dishes, jobs, scripture study, FHE, etc.) with a lot of kids. I was never around when my parents had a lot of kids at home, so I hope when we have lots of kids we'll be just as organized.
Among everything else I've learned from having an enthusiastic gospel teacher around the house, I've also learned about how to handle money properly. (Which is not to say that I'm the Budgeting Queen, but I'm less miserable at it than I used to be.)
ReplyDeleteI've learned the importance of being consistent--in saving money, in exercising, in flossing, in scripture study, in caring for others. Well, actually, it's something I admire in him. I'm still working on being more consistent.
ReplyDeleteI have learned discipline and dedication from dad. He is always able to follow through on goals and encourage others to make and set goals- especially financial ones.
ReplyDeleteI learned to try and fix problems or other issues by myself first in order to learn how it works, but not be afraid to ask for help (which usually ends up happening) when it becomes impossible with your limited skill set.
ReplyDeleteI learned most of what I know about the gospel from him. I asked a lot of church-related questions as a kid, and he was always willing to take the time to give me an answer.
ReplyDeleteHow to be consistently supportive and not give up. A good balance (especially in parenting) between correcting choices and allowing kids to make mistakes.
ReplyDeleteThat the Gospel is an important part of his life and how to live my own life the same way- how to truly be converted to the Lord and show it in your life and talk and rejoice in it every day. Also, that it's possible to be an institute and seminary teacher, have 9 kids, and still pay off your mortgage and not have any other debt while most of your kids are still living at home.
ReplyDeleteDad has taught me how to be a hard worker and to always have a positive attitude in everything I do.
ReplyDeleteDad has taught me how to be hard worker. Even though I know that yardwork and other household jobs aren't his favorite things to do in the world, I always knew that he could do them to help Mom out. Whether that was weeding, getting the swamp cooler ready for the summer, or cleaning out the garage, I learned to get the job done, even if it isn't the most glamorous job. I also learned the importance of budgeting and living within one's means. I'm still not on a Dad-like level but I feel that I'm a lot better off than most because of his example.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I've learned is the importance of learning about cars! There have been many times where Dave has looked at our cars (we're on our third)and helped us with changing our oil or putting coolant in.
ReplyDeleteI've also learned about how to have organization (dishes, jobs, scripture study, FHE, etc.) with a lot of kids. I was never around when my parents had a lot of kids at home, so I hope when we have lots of kids we'll be just as organized.